UPS's workforce – as one of the most diverse of any company in the nation – is multicultural, multidimensional, and reflective of the communities where we live and work. In 2009, Black Enterprise magazine named UPS to its "The 40 Best Companies for Diversity" list. In recognizing UPS, Black Enterprise cited the company's continued commitment to a multicultural environment indicative of its global reach.
UPS has clear workplace policies and practices and maintains aggressive training programs to ensure all employees are treated with respect and dignity.
These policies include:
- Operating on a personal basis founded on teamwork and first-name relationships.
- Promotion from within.
- Practicing objective, careful hiring methods.
- Encouraging and assisting employee development by communicating regularly with employees.
- Providing training opportunities and recognizing accomplishments.
- Compensating employees fairly and maintaining a safe work environment.
- Shunning favoritism.
- Respecting each employee's point of view.
Professional Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy: UPS encourages a positive work environment through its "Professional Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy," which prohibits harassment based on race, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, age or religion. New employees receive a detailed orientation on the policy and regular refreshers throughout their UPS careers.